Saturday, October 31, 2009

First Road Managing Gig

Last Saturday I returned from my first road managing gig for the American Metropole Orchestra.  What an adventure!  Everything that could go wrong, went wrong, but I think overall it was an excellent learning experience. 

First, those that were riding the charter bus met out in South Salem near our Director's home.  The bus was supposed to meet us there at 5:00pm, we would load our instruments and gear and leave by 6:00pm for our pickup in Eugene, then it would be off the Colusa, CA.  The bus did not arrive until 6:00pm AND it was the wrong typed of bus.  We were supposed to have a 42 passenger bus, instead, we had a 28 passenger bus.  Needless to say there was not enough room for everyone and their instruments and luggage.  So a few string players decided to car pool and follow behind us.  On top of all this, there is NO bathroom on the smaller bus, so I had to think about when and where we were going to stop.  THEN, our bus driver who was  borderline too old to drive told me he did not know where we were going, just that he was driving us!  This was my first trip to Colusa and although I had a general idea of where it was, I had not laid out a detailed map/driving directions.  I couldn't believe it!  The bus was loud and rickety and I doubt anyone slept well as we drove through the middle of the night. Between my disbelief and the bus drivers frequent swerving across the road, I was wound up! 

We arrived safely around 4am and distributed everyone to their respective hotels.  Some people were very upset about not being onsite at the casino.  Infact, we were all spread out over three hotels, the casino hotel, and two hotels in Williams (about 8 miles away from Colusa).  So, I have to improvise a shuttle schedule for these off site people, because if they want their free meals, they have to come to the casino to eat. 

5 am- You could find me at the casino bar and grill having a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, too wound up to sleep and not wanting to disturb my roommate. 

11am-The faculty and a few other players who had the privilege to fly roll up in a stretch hummer-limo.  No comment.

The rest of the tour goes pretty well.  The bus driver however continues to prove unreliable and uninformed.  He is continually late shuttling people back and forth and is reported to be making inappropriate comments to the female orchestra members. This of course I hear about AFTER I have graciously gotten him a complimentary ticket to the show!  My plan is to report to the head of the bus company when the tour is over. 

Thursday night's show is phenomenal!  Oh did I mention the head liner is Sonny Turner, former lead singer of the Platters?! 

Finally we arrive at Friday night and I am thrilled for another show. Then, about 10 minutes before the concert, one of the string players is walking down the stage stairs because she wants to go around a different way to her seat. The stage is a very tight setup and the players are squeezed together as close as possible.  As she is descending the stairs, someone calls out her name to tell her something and she turns her head back, stumbles and falls right in front of me!  Of course she is holding her violin in her hand and doesn't break her fall with her hands should she break her violin! Typical string player, save the instrument!  She is badly hurt and the paramedics come.  She is pretty sure she has broken her leg, but we have to take her to the hospital to x-ray her. 

Guess who gets to ride in the front of the ambulance?  ME!  We arrive at Colusa hospital and they admit her quickly.  X-Ray reveals: Broken femur bone.  In the meantime I have managed to contact her husband who lives in Oregon, like most of the Orchestra. 

Turns out, there is no orthopedic guy at Colusa, so we have to transport her to Chico, about an hour away.  Another road trip through the back roads to Chico.  My EMT looks eerily like Mike Rowe.  Some of her string player friends meet us at Chico after the show has ended and bring her meds and luggage.  So ends another late night . The other string players drive me back to the casino and we arrive around 2:30 am. 

3am-You could find me at the bar ordering the asian noodle bowl (similar to Udon). 
4am-Sleep for a few hours
8am-up and ready to go
10am-bus departs for Salem

The return ride was uneventful and so ends my adventure.

I was very proud of myself for how I handled everything that was thrown at me. Hopefully the Lynn Anderson show is so uneventful, it's BORING!

No comments:

Post a Comment